Wednesday 15 November 2023

Explaining the new complexity rating system for my products.

To better help my customers make informed choices and find it easier to identify the products that they need, I am introducing a new rating system to my listings on Kitely when I roll out my revamped store in the next week(s). 

While I will also endeavour to list the total polycount of each model in a set, some of my sets have several dozen models. In these cases, a range will be given showing the highest and lowest polycounts. 

But also alongside this each product will have a simple rating - Light, Medium and Heavy.

Light - These are the tier of products I offer with the lowest polycounts and using mostly seamless textures. They are great for any purpose, but really shine when you are wanting to build or fill out a large area at the lowest performance cost possible.

Medium - This tier will feature products with slightly higher polygon counts and feature more baked textures. These items can be used fairly extensively in small areas (up to a 3x3 region), but it is not recommended you try to fill several regions exclusively with this level of content. Very often, they will also be designed to refer back to and work alongside Light products as an optional extra level of detail or as a standalone set. 

Heavy - 99% of my content will fall into the previous two categories. However from time to time I reserve the possibility of releasing something crazy. These objects will be fine and fun as a novelty but intended for very limited use and on their own unless clearly stated otherwise. 

.......Hopefully this will all make more sense when my store is back open =D

Obviously, if you are building in a 64x64 region or something nuts, your going to get lag no matter what you do unless you understand what you are doing and take steps to break up your content into manageable "chunks". 

The bottlenecks are the same as ever - 

*Your graphics card

*Your internet connection

*The clunky way SL/OS handles several things relating to LOD, lighting/shadows, textures and off screen geometry culling. 

*The quality of the content you use and your understanding of how to use it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment